Division of Visual Services
The primary vocational rehabilitation services are counseling and guidance with job placement. However, other services may also be provided as needed for an individual to compensate for, correct or prevent disability-based barriers to employment. These services can include, but are not limited to:
- Physical or mental restoration;
- Vocational, college or other training;
- Assistive technology evaluations, equipment and training;
- Information on disability resources;
- Personal assistance services while receiving VR services;
- Transportation in connection with VR services being provided;
- Supported employment;
- Self-employment assistance;
- Transition school-to-work services for youth with disabilities; and
- Other services based on individual needs.
The services a person receives are determined by
the person's Individualized Plan for Employment (IPE). This plan
outlines a person's employment goal and the services that are needed
to enable the person to achieve that goal. The IPE can be written by
a VR client and counselor working together, or it can be written by
the client according to guidelines the counselor will explain.
Eligibility: A person may be eligible for vocational rehabilitation services if he or she has a physical or mental disability that is a barrier to employment and requires VR services to prepare for, obtain, keep or return to work. There must be a chance the person can benefit by going to work. To apply for services, follow this link.
Cost: Some services, such as medical examinations to determine if a person is eligible for vocational rehabilitation, counseling and job placement, are provided at no charge to the client. For some other services, a client may have to share in the cost, depending on his or her income and resources.
Other Visual Services provided:
- Business Enterprise Program (Vending Facilities)
- Instructional Services for People who are Blind
- Ticket to Work
Watch the Visual Services Orientation
Read the Visual Services Orientation video transcript
Watch the Visual Services informational video
Read the Visual Services transcript